Designing a great logo is a challenging task and requires a lot of brainstorming. Your website logo should be relevant to your website theme and services. Also, it should be meaningful and should present some sort of logic. Companies spend thousands of dollars to get a logo designed for their brand. A logo has a direct relationship with your brand’s identity. It is proven that a well-designed, meaningful and a catchy logo gives your company an edge over your competitors. Customers remember your logo and brand. I have provided a few examples below, see what sort of impact a well-designed logo can have on a customer’s mind. Put yourself in a customer’s shoes and judge these logos yourself.
Most Popular Logos
|Adidas Logo represents elegance, durability and without doubt represents a mark of the leading sports gear in the world. The 3 striped Adidas logo was created by Adi Dassler, founder of Adidas. Adidas Logo was first used in 1967. The shape of 3 stripes on the Adidas Logo represents mountain, pointing out towards the challenges that are seen ahead and goals that can be achieved.
Source: Adidas Logo and History
|The true meaning of the ‘sky blue and white quartered’ BMW logo is the most controversial issue of the company. According to Dr. Florian Triebel, Executive Board Member of BMW AG, “There are two traditions concerning the significance of the BMW logo and trademark, offering two different interpretations of its sky blue and white fields. One interpretation points to a rotating propeller. The other relates the BMW logo to Bavaria as the place where the products are manufactured”.
Source: BMW Logo History
|Pepsi-Cola is one of the most famous soft drinks consumed worldwide. The Pepsi logo is one of the most famous and well-recognized logos in the world. At the company’s 100 years celebration in 1998, Pepsi-Cola unveiled a new logo that symbolized the brand’s innovation and global recognition. The new Pepsi logo consists of a three-dimensional globe against an ice blue background, with the inclusion of the previously designed Pepsi typeface.
Source: Pepsi Cola Logo History
All these logos shown above are among the most popular logos of all times. A few things to observe: these logos have come through a series of changes over the time and there is nothing like a “perfect logo”, there is always a chance to improve your logo. Looking at the above popular logo examples one thing is exceptionally clear, these logos are unique! So how can you design a great logo for your company website? First of all look at some examples that are “not so popular” but are worth looking at and then we will talk about some tips that can be really helpful in designing a wonderful logo.
The Rouge Logo was designed for a professional hair saloon. The logo is designed two colors: Red and Black. Also, there’s a scissor which integrate the principal element of a hair stylist. The typography looks relevant and interesting too. The punch line “HAIR PROFESSIONAL SALON” explains what the logo is about. Overall, a beautiful design and catchy graphics!
The Seoul Food Logo was created for a Korean-American fusion fast food restaurant. As you can see, the graphics used in this logo explains what the company is all about: Food! Simple colors with excellent typography, makes this logo stand out of the crowd. The punch line below the company name also adds spice to the beauty of the log.
Tips for designing logo
Before you get into designing a log, you must understand what a logo is, what it represents and what it is supposed to do. A logo is not just a graphic – it reflects a business’s commercial brand through the use of shape, fonts, colour, and/or images. You may find these tips useful to design your company/website logo:
- Learn what a logo is and what it represents – As mentioned above, a logo summarized your business and helps in identifying your brand name.
- Know the rules and principles of logo design – A logo is not just a graphic, it should contain the important elements that can describe your business/company/website. It should be descriptive, meaningful, memorable, scalable, etc.
- Do not over-do the graphics – If your company manufactures/sells 20 different items, you don’t have to include all those 20 items in your logo. Be very choosy with the images you include in your logo.
- Your logo should be easy to read – If you include words, make sure to use a good font. Your logo should be easy to read, you wouldn’t like leaving people guessing what your logo says.
- You can use fonts to make images – Ever checked the font Wingdings and Webdings which are included in Windows Fonts by default? You can use such fonts to design great looking images.
- Keep it simple – Your logo doesn’t have to be glossy and flashing. If you have something great on your mind, even a 2D logo should look great. The idea is to keep your logo simple, yet catchy. Go on, play around with your ideas!
- Use simple tools – You don’t have to learn some heavy imaging software to make a logo. Many people use simply MS paint to come up with a good looking design. Many prefer using Photoshop too.
Logo designing tools
Although MS Paint and/or Photoshop can do the job very well. However, if you are looking for a specific logo designing tool, then these tools should be sufficient to come up with a wonderful looking logo:
- Adobe Photoshop CS5 – Paid photo editing software
- Gimp – Open Source photo editing software
- Photoscape – Free photo editing software
- Paint.net – Free image and photo editing software
- Photopos – Free photo and image editor
Logo Design Resources
Here are some great websites that feature Logo designs, logo designing tips and tricks that will inspire you to create your first logo:
30 Best Written And Explained Logo Design Tutorials
Most useful logo design resources
Logo design creation process from start to finish
Vital tips for effective logo design
15 Famous logo parodies – Corporate spoofs! (Funny)